We don't split hairs.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

I'm Back

Sorry for the long delay, folks. I just started a new job and spend a lot of my time in the city, and the time I don't spend there, I spend getting there and back. I've come to the realization that commuting to NY costs almost as much as living there - and I don't even pay rent! $13 per train ride, plus gas to get to the station, and I end up spending around $45 per day just to get to work and back home, and I don't even take the subway because of the extra cost. Forget food. I make due with the free bagels every morning and the pizza every Friday and water from the cooler.

$225 per week just to get to work. God Bless America!

UPDATE: I just bought a monthly pass for the LIRR which cuts down my costs considerably. Instead of $130 per week on train tickets, it cost me $267 for unlimited rides the entire month. Nice.

5 Comments:

Blogger bloodysox said...

dude, that fuckin' sucks. I'm curious, how in the hell does it cost that much per day! What's the breakdown?

11:03 AM, November 03, 2005

 
Blogger JTA said...

$13 per train ride = $26 per day
+$10-20 gas
= $36-$46 per day

10:33 PM, November 03, 2005

 
Blogger bloodysox said...

How the fuck does a train ride cost $13! I was pissed when they raised the cost of a T token in Boston from $1.00 to $1.25!
Do they charge $13 for one token or do you have to switch a bunch of times or something? This is absurd.

11:22 AM, November 04, 2005

 
Blogger JTA said...

It's the Long Island Railroad, not the subway. Since I live towards the east end of LI, I need to take a long train ride into the city. The subway costs $2. The LIRR, from where I get on, costs $13. If I were to take the subway from Penn Station (where I get off) it would cost me an additional $2. But, while the weather is nice, I walk the 10-or-so blocks to work from Penn.

11:42 AM, November 04, 2005

 
Blogger bloodysox said...

Ohh...I thought that you were living in Staten Island. This all makes more sense now.

1:58 PM, November 07, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home